Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving

So last Thursday my American friend, Britt, and I attempted to cook Thanksgiving dinner for our friends. I'll cut the suspense and let you know it was kick-butt-awesome! We had a ten pound turkey with an herb honey glaze, stuffing, corn casserole, garlic potatoes, glazed carrots, broccoli with cheese, rolls, sugar cream pie, carrot cake with cream cheese frosting and brownies with white chocolate chunks. Needless to say I was in a food coma before dessert even began.

It was so much fun to prepare the meal together. As Britt said, we all now fully appreciate how much our mothers and grandmothers did for us in previous Thanksgivings! I was really worried about the turkey. We didn't know the rule about letting it defrost 24 hours for every four pounds so we ended up having to put it in a water bath the day of. We did all we could and the bird was still a little frosty inside when we removed the innards and extra skin and feathers:( But we didn't get food poisoning so that's a plus. Did I mention that our oven here in Merville Residences is crazy hot? Well the turkey finished about an hour ahead of schedule so absolutely nothing else was done! We scrambled to boil the potatoes, cook the veggies, and bake the corn casserole. It all got done and we just sort of reheated everything when we were ready to eat:)

Since it's been a couple of days since Thanksgiving I've had some time to reflect. I saw on the news Friday the story of the man shooting his family at Thanksgiving dinner. I thought to myself that the victims probably had no idea it was going to happen. They probably sat down to eat just like my friends and I had and it just happened. It made me think about how grateful I am to have such a wonderful family and great friends, and know that we would never hurt each other like that.

To whoever reads this I love and miss you so much!!! And I can't wait until we're reunited in December:)

No comments:

Post a Comment